Saturday, November 10, 2007

Water runs wasted and our days may too.

"I let the water run while I brush my teeth and I know that water goes to waste and I don't care."

Not very long ago, in spite of having read a much alarming article on drought in the US, I surprised myself doing it again, brushing my teeth while I left the tap running. What a stupid thing to do, and I bet I am not the only one doing it. So I promised myself to put remedy to such careless behavior.

Monday morning, late for work, there I was brushing my teeth, water running again. I told myself that I was “almost done” which my brain in a hurry considered equal to done. So the water was running and I was still brushing and rushing. 23 seconds later I was really done. Tuesday. I was better: there I was brushing and no water running but then I opened the faucet before I was done. "I'm almost done, I might as well get a head start with the water." It's like trying to be ahead when you are not. A cheap psychological scheme to win the race against time. What a shameful attitude.

I’ve started a campaign against my insurgent behavior. Today is the first day and I am going to brush my teeth now. First, I will fill the cup of water, second I will cut the water stream and only then, I will start brushing, while the amount of water needed for the afterward rinse will patiently wait for me: inside the cup. That is the purpose of the cup, not just to hold my toothbrush and tube paste.

Now my teeth are receiving a more detailed cleaning and water is saved. I probably get to work 37 seconds later than usual, of course, nobody notices.

I've been searching for similar and useless schemes against time in other aspects of my everyday life and I was surprised to notice how many things I rush through unnecessarily. I am starting to ask myself everyday: what's the rush? I mean, I know what's a the end, right? Do I really want to get there that fast? Not really.

No comments: