Saturday, November 10, 2007

Dining etiquette. Don't eat it if you don't like it.

PART ONE


"Excuse me Sir, after reviewing the menu, I've come to the conclusion that I am not in the mood for any of your delicious offerings. I am going to free this table for another customer. Thank you for your kindness."
Have you ever walked into a restaurant, sat down, waited to get iced water and menus, only to discover that you are not into the food they serve? The dining experience may then turn into hell, for there’s nothing less horrid than to eat without desire. This is a story about food but it could pretty much be applied to anything that we force ourselves to endure for the sake of convention.

So do you stare at the glasses already filled with water and notice your lip mark smeared on the edge from that first sip you took? Do you then order whatever seems more palatable although suddenly, you much rather have a home made ham and cheese sandwich? Or do you get up and leave, after thanking the waiter and maƮtre d'?

It’s very likely that they will stare at you with stiffed expressions of disapproval. It happened to me. Removing the napkin from my lap and carefully placing it back on the table was, I think, the hardest part of the decision. Then publicly facing the host’s judgmental stare made me feel, if only for a few seconds, an improper being, inadequate to belong to any social scene. All the same, I’d say you ought to get up and leave. Once out of the restaurant, I was definitely glad that I did. I had been true to myself without stepping over anybody else’s rights or personal feelings. Ah! An important detail: if you touch the bread or the butter it's a whole different picture, since some restaurants do charge for this goodies. I had not touched them but I noticed that they were really good French style rolls, so I laid a $5 bill on the table and I placed the rolls inside my purse, for the sandwiches. (My dining companion never saw this and didn't realize where the bread of the sandwiches came from.)

No comments: